Tuesday, June 30, 2009

New Baby!!

Our little baby was finally born!!! After waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, finally, we wait no more.
Now, we have not been camping so far this year, because we have been waiting for this little boy to make his arrival. This was this goat's first baby, so we wanted to be sure that we were here for her. We had no idea when she was due. When we got her we were told she "might" be pregnant. She had been in a herd with a free roaming buck. Hmm. . . she might be pregnant?
Right before the girls and I left for Reno in early May, her udder started filling up. After reading up on what to expect, I was hesitant leaving Fred in charge, but oh well. Please Brownie, don't have it this weekend. Wait until we get back. We got back, and no baby. Whew!
So, we just kept waiting. We made sure someone was always home. Yes, we were excited and anxious. We skipped the Memorial Day camping trip, because her udder was still a little bigger than before.
Then, came our June weekend at Cal Expo for the girls and I. She was still bigger yet. I had read that they could fill up up to 6 weeks prior, but not usually. Father's Day camping trip comes and goes and home we stay. Fred & I did make a quick 3 day trip to Wyoming to pick up Grandma. The girls had the local 4-H leaders phone number in case something happened. But, luckily for them, she didn't present her package yet. Lucky for me, too. I had no intention of missing this event.

So, the story goes like this. We had finished feeding all the animals this past Sunday morning (6/26). Brownie (the mom) was acting pretty funny. I made a note to myself to check on her when I was done with everyone else. Kelsey had "checked" her and said, "Mom, you really need to check her." Well, I went inside after doing the animals and dripping with sweat. I needed a drink first. We were supposed to be taking the kayaks and the canoe to the lake. So, Fred was pretty anxious to get going. So, in my haste, I quickly ate and was getting dressed all the while thinking I need to go check the goat.
Well, I'm halfway dressed and into the house races Kelsey screaming that BROWNIE HAD HER BABY!! On the rest of the clothes go as fast as I could cover up. I grab my goat bag that has been sitting by the door for a month and a half and race out there. She's (the mommy) cleaning him up like a good little mom and doting all over him. It looked like it had just happened. I'm sure it had. (Kelsey had run down there because Brownie was baaing a lot. Hence, she found something laying on the ground.) Anyway, I gently turned him over for a minute to see if it was a boy or girl. He followed suit this year as it seems most of the babies this year are boys. It was so cool to see him learn to stand up, along with a little help. I ended up moving him to a safer learning area. She had him at the top of a very steep hill, and he kept falling down the hill (I actually kept catching him. We waited and waited, but there were no more little goats to come. He eventually decided it was time to eat. We had tried to get him to right away, but he wasn't ready. Boy, nature sure has it's own time table.
Instincts are so amazing and so is the birth of animals. We were sad we missed the birth, but hopefully next year we'll manage to make at least one.
He is so very, very cute!! Now, what are we going to do with this one? . . .

3 comments:

vanessa

Finally! Isn't it great to have a new baby in the family. This should satisfy any baby hunger you are having too.

Carrina

Who said I'm having baby hunger. I just want to hold them. I DO NOT want another one! You'll have another one before I do :D!!!

Megan

I didn't know they were that little! How cute!!!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP